Friday, November 11, 2005

The Palm Court Theatre Orchestra


I found this LP at a boot sale last year. Sadly the gate-fold sleeve has been stuck together after being left in the rain so trying to read the sleeve notes is made quite difficult. No information about them could be gleaned from the internet so as far as can make out they were formed in 1978 by Mr. Anthony Godwin, bass clarinettist with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. He had inherited a complete library of theatre music dating from 1880 to 1930 and it's from this that their repetoire is mainly drawn. They try and re-create the sound and atmostphere of those early days by using instruments of that era. For instance on the song "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" the soprano Linda Murray is accompanied by David Norton on the musical saw. Linda Murray also sings the other song featured here "Two Little Sausages" that I remember an old uncle of mine singing back in the 60's. This record was released in 1980 on the Chandos label.

The Palm Court Theatre Orch. - I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles

The Palm Court Theatre Orch. - Two Little Sausages

These Rapid Share files are accessible by scrolling down the page and clicking on the FREE button. Wait at the bottom of the page for your file to appear ( about 20 seconds ).

3 comments:

spice-the-cat said...

I've got to say that I really admire your dedication to your art.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/
spice-the-cat/

Russell CJ Duffy said...

All my family hail from the East End. Upton Park to be exact. Even my bloody mother-in-law (gawd bless her) came from the area (East Ham).
My father moved from Upton Park in 1935 when he was 10.
Each and every Saturday fortnight he would take me to see the 'hammers'play. I am NOT a footie fan and, as much as I love the myth of the East End, I am not an Eastender.
Anyway, enough of my ego tripping down my East End memories.
Yet another fascinating discovery. I tried playing the saw bbut could only get a vile shriek!

Wastedpapiers said...

Glad to hear it made you happy William. I must admit I was in two minds whether to post it as it's very MOR in a way and unlike the music I would normally go for, but as you say its very charming and the musical saw adds a smidgeon of eccentricity.
I lived in Stepney for a few years CJ in a pre-fab rented from the Acme Housing Association who took over "short life" properties in the East End to rent out to artists as studios and accomodation. So I knew West Ham quite well and often went on shopping trips there on the bus. There used to be a great record shop in West ham high street I bought loads of stuff at - mostly factory rejects with ripped sleeves and a slight scratch or labels stuck on wrong. A fabulous place for someone with limited means and I still remember every single album i bought there- mainly because they stick out like sore thumbs!