Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Johnny Standley


I'm afraid I know very little about Johnny Standley. All I could glean from the internet is that he travelled with his father's "tent shows" in the Mid West and this single, "It's In The Book", was his one "hit" in 1952. The second part of the song is taken from an advert for Granma's Lye Soap. No other recordings seem to be available. This EP was found by a friend of mine who had been looking for it for a while. He sent me a copy on a tape today along with this very pale photo-copy of the sleeve. I had to darken it a bit on photoshop, hence the rather strange tones. Johnny reminds me of a few other American comedy acts of the 50's like Jonathan Winters and Milton Berle etc. and his preaching style like that of the english eccentric Gerrard Hoffnung.

Johnny Standley - It's In The Book

Johnny Standley - Clap Your Hands

These Rapid Share files are accessible by scrolling down the page and clicking on the FREE button. Wait at the bottom of the page for your file to appear ( about 20 seconds ).

No comments: