Friday, January 25, 2008

Listen To The Banned


I can't remember where I found this LP on the Living Era label released in 1984. Its full of great novelty songs that were considered too risque for the BBC back in the 20's and 30's. They all seem pretty tame by today's standards.

The label notes by Brian Rust say-

"This LP gives us twenty examples of what, in the thirties and slightly earlier, were considered unfit for presentation on the air-waves (recording ofcourse was a different matter; the Puritans had less control over that....)
Ofcourse, to the pure, all things are pure, as we are often reminded, and if you go out with a moral geiger-counter, looking for radio-active material, shall we say, you will find it."


Mae West - A Guy What Takes His Time

Billy Cotton Band - I've Gone And LOst Me Little Yo-Yo

Durium Dance Band - She Was Only The Postmaster's Daughter

Ross & Sargent - Nellie, The Nudist Queen

Dawn Davis - My Private Affair

Jimmie Rodgers - What's It?

Sphie Tucker - He Hadn't Up Till Yesterday

Ronald Frankau - Winnie The Worm

Cliff Edwards - I'm A Bear In A Lady's Boudoir


These SendSpace files are available for seven days or until nexhausted.

3 comments:

Slackjack said...

I have this album except for the last three tracks, Donald Byng - Flora McDonald: Randolph Sutton - Or Anything Else I've Got: Dawn Davis And So Does He. Any chance of these three could be posted?

I love your blog

Slackjack said...

I have this album except for the last three tracks - Donald Byng - Flora McDonald: Randolph Sutton - Or Anything Else I've Got: Dawn Davis - And So Does He. Any chance of a post for these three songs.

I love your blog

Wastedpapiers said...

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback.