Saturday, November 17, 2012

Charlie Gillett - Undercurrents 12 (re-up)

Another Undercurrents show from the early 80's. No guest as such but a live song by The Shakin' Pyramids, a Scottish rockabilly band. Charlie plays the usual eclectic mix from the pub rock and indie scene at the time.............................................................................................................................................................................Wikipedia says - "The Shakin' Pyramids (also known as Shakin' Pyramids) were a Scottish rockabilly band formed in Glasgow in the late 1970s. The band consisted of Dave Duncan (vocals, harmonica, percussion) James G. Creighton (acoustic & electric guitar, vocals) and "Railroad" Ken McLellan (acoustic guitar, vocals). During the band's recording career from 1980–1983, they released two studio albums, four singles and three extended plays—one of which was recorded with the late British recording star Lonnie Donegan. A 1983 compilation album was released shortly after the group's disbandment, and a live album followed in 2001. Although the band did not enjoy any major chart successes, their work was generally well received by critics. They earned a fan base through their energetic live performances, which were originally honed on the streets of Glasgow and later exhibited via their extensive touring and a number of television appearances. In recent years, their work has been described as having helped define the short-lived rockabilly revival of the early 1980s."....................................................................................................................................................................Charlie Gillett - Undercurrents 12

4 comments:

cozy t said...

I know I've probably asked this before, but is there any chance of any of Charlie Gilletts 'undercurrents'
shows that you haven't already
posted and uploaded , it would be great to hear any that I haven't already heard before , Charlie
passed away nearly 3 years ago
so I think it would be a fantastic tribute
i'd be very grateful if you can oblige.
cozyt

Wastedpapiers said...

Hi Cozyt , Sorry but I seem to have come to the end of the Undercurrents shows that I have on tape - the ones I could find anyway. I'm pretty sure there are more but without a definatist list of the ones he did I'm not sure if I got them recorded or not. Are there any you remember I haven't uplaoded? Names of guests would help?

cozy t said...

hi

I don't remember the guests but
some of the groups Charlie played
were the meteors ( their first ep ) , the fall 'fit and working again' from a rundown of the indie charts , and bill nelson 'dream in colour'? - so if you have these shows? , don't remember how long the show ran for , but i'm guessing it was between october 1980 until august 1981 and was first on capital radio saturday afternoon before it was swapped to sunday afternoons , and judging from your tapes I think it was only an hour a week wasn't it?

Wastedpapiers said...

Doesnt ring any bells- maybe didnt get that one but I was pretty good at making tapes of all his shows if i was near the radio. I will have to sort through the tapes I have and make a list myself. Watch this space.