Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Charlie Gillett - Roy Brown 6/8/78


Another great old Honky Tonk radio show from 1978 broadcast on Radio London. Charlie is talking to R&B pioneer Roy Brown and playing some of his hits from the 40's and 50's and tracks from Roy's latest release. Interspersed with some fascinating tales of how it was for black artists in the record business back then - unscrupulous managers and all.

Wikipedia says -

"Roy James Brown (September 10, 1925 — May 25, 1981 was a pioneering Rhythm & Blues singer, songwriter and musician who had a primary influence on the early development of rock & roll music. Brown sang R&B tunes with a gospel feel, the first blues singer to do so. The "call and response" gospel style was limited to the church prior to Brown's arrival to the music scene. R&B was mostly "jivey" novelty tunes, like "Caledonia" by Louis Jordan and blues sung behind jazzy, boogie-woogie beats like "Roll 'em Pete" by Joe Turner. His seminal "Good Rocking Tonight" was covered by Wynonie Harris, Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Pat Boone. In addition, his melismatical pleading, gospel-steeped delivery impacted the vocal styles of B.B. King, Bobby Bland, Jackie Wilson and Little Richard. His role as a crucial link between postwar R&B and rock's initial rise is underappreciated by the masses."


Charlie Gillett - Roy Brown Pt. 1

Charlie Gillett - Roy Brown Pt. 2

6 comments:

Richard said...

Thanks so much for posting the Honky Tonk and other CG recordings. I moved from London to California in 1978 and only know him from that era. But his death has surprisingly been quite a shock to me, despite having hardly heard his voice in over 30 years. I think it's because he shaped so much of my listening during those few years, and I somehow feel a great debt to him for introducing me to music that I otherwise would not have heard.

Anyway, I have cassette recordings of his very last two Honky Tonk shows from December 24th and 31st 1978. They are mono AM, so a bit dodgy quality-wise, but I can do my best to clean them up during the rip if you don't have copies yourself. Are you interested in having me rip and post them, or do you perhaps have your own (maybe better) copies?

Richard

Wastedpapiers said...

Nice to get your feedback Richard. Thanks so much for the offer of the last two Honky Tonk shows- that would be great. I have some extracts but that's all. In the process of going through all my dusty boxes of cassettes over the last few days and finding CG shows - mostly from the 80's. Trying to get them into some sort of order. Have been promised some old Honky Tonk shows by a contact so hopefully will have some more to share soon. Meanwhile still got the Errol Dixon and Rico shows to come if I can boost the sound quality somehow.

Richard said...

Michael,

Thanks for your response. I'll try to get at least one of the Honky Tonk shows posted somewhere in the next few days. Then I can send you the link to it.

By the way, both of your links to the Roy Brown show have expired. Would you mind repostng them, because I only manged to get one of the parts downloaded?

Thanks,

Richard

Wastedpapiers said...

Thanks richard. sorry to hear the roy brown is playing up. will try and upload again after easter.

Anonymous said...

Another here who came along after the links had expired. When I first moved to London back in '74, the Kilburns were the first band that I saw. I think Charlie must have been managing them at that time, but I wasn't aware of the connection. I discovered his Radio London show shortly afterwards and, ever since then, his tastes and his views on music (not that we always agreed!) have led me to some of my favourite places. I'm eager to hear any of Charlie's broadcasts that you have. Thanks for making them available!

Rob

Wastedpapiers said...

Links are now restored to mediafire. Thanks Rob and all for your patience.