Sunday, November 27, 2005

Fat "Daddy" Holmes


Not a great deal found on the web regarding (William) Fat "Daddy" Holmes. This rockabilly and surf instrumental compilation was released in 1974 and contains songs by a variety of obscure artistes including The Chancellors, Scottie Stuart, Carl Bonafede and Jesse Lee Turner. The stand out tracks though are by Holmes with quirky chicken sound effects on "Chicken Rock" ( 1954 ) and dopey hep-cat jive talk on "Where Yo Is" from around the same time.

Fat "Daddy" Holmes - Chicken Rock

Fat "Daddy" Holmes - Where Yo Is

These Rapid Share files are accessible by scrolling down the page and clicking on the FREE button. Wait at the bottom of the page for your file to appear ( about 20 seconds ).

3 comments:

spice-the-cat said...

If you want to hear some totally crazy, 'out there' rockabilly try and get your mitts on anything by Hasil Adkins - the guy was on a different planet to the rest of us.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/spice-the-cat/

Wastedpapiers said...

I have some Hasil Adkins- yes, he was certainly different! I have a soft spot for manic rockabilly but a lot of it is hard to take sometimes. I prefer it in small doses!

Wastedpapiers said...

Just to add that the cover was a major reason I saw this record and bought it. I was makinbg themed compilatuions at the time and I thought I'd found a whole record of "Chicken Songs" ! But there is only the one. I found lots of others though. Chickens and roosters are favoured subjects for rock 'n roll and R & B.