Sunday, November 13, 2005

Country Pie


My record collecting chum and devout Chas & Dave fan Jim Benson told me about this record a few years back. He says it's an early session by Chas & Dave during a spell of financial insecurity when they desperately needed the money.Chas Hodges plays guitar as well as piano on this session and Mick Burt is on Drums.Coincidentally I found a copy at a bootsale a couple of months later! Its on the cheap and cheerful Avenue label and released in 1971.

"Pianist Chas Hodges and guitarist Dave Peacock were widely experienced around the British rock scene of the 1960s and early 70s before teaming up with drummer Mick Burt (another much-travelled musician who had gone back to his original trade as a plumber) to form the group. Chas had worked with the legendary producer Joe Meek, backed Jerry Lee Lewis, played with Mike Berry and the Outlaws, along with Ritchie Blackmore, and also the highly respected Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, which had Burt on drums. He then joined Albert Lee’s cult band Heads Hands and Feet before playing with Dave and Albert in Black Claw. Dave had been equally active, Starting out in The Rolling Stones (no, not them!) in 1960. Spells with The Tumbleweeds, Mick Greenwood, Jerry Donaghue, and the above mentioned Black Claw followed prior to the pair coming together to go out on their own as Chas & Dave."

Find out more about Chas & Dave HERE.

Country Pie - Hillbilly Fever

Country Pie - Wrong Yo Yo

These Rapid Share files are accessible by scrolling down the page and clicking on the FREE button. Wait at the bottom of the page fro your file to appear ( about 20 seconds ).

8 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Blimey! Well I never! I love Chas and Dave and of course they are very big again at the moment courtesy of The Libertines.

Wastedpapiers said...

Chas was on Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight and was quite amusing though not as funny as Bill Bailey.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Bill Bailey. Now there is an unfortunate name if I ever heard one but only for people of a certain age.

Big Al Davies said...

I have an Uncle Bill Bailey too.

Good tracks, it sounds like Jerry Lee completely, brilliant, thanks Michael.

Wastedpapiers said...

Thanks Big Al. I was watching "Buzzcocks" last night. Bill was on top form again. Most of the LP is pretty good and obviously a great love of Jerry Lee and his ilk. Shame they went on to do all that Knees Up Mother Brown singalonga a la Max ( just give me the money) Bygraves.

Wastedpapiers said...

Thanks to Jim Benson for phoning me up and putting me straight on some facts I'd got wrong. Hopefully I have got it right this time!

WINO said...

Thanks. Great Site. Im a big Chas & Dave fan here in states (still own a Vinyl copy of OILY RAGS somewheres round here found at a local flea market/bootsale!) and would love a copy of Country Pie LP. Dont suppose you could up? thanks rob (WINO) robbybee@sbcglobal.net

Wastedpapiers said...

I will try and find it again but my collection is in no particular order so might take me a while. Thanks for the interest Wino.